Friday, March 03, 2006

Christian Doggerel

Corrie's personification of worry spoke such volumes to me that I decided to add some of my own.
Anyone who reads this is invited to contribute more isms.

Worry is an old man with a bent head,
Carrying a sack of feathers he thinks is lead. ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Faith is a hatchling ‘neath mother hen’s wing;
Though tempest may rage, it fears not a thing.

Sin is a viper with a forked tongue,
Tapping at our door, dressed up like fun.

Goodness is an angel in dazzling white
Come to our aid in darkest night.

Judgement is gray, a man of stone
None can breach save Grace alone.

O Grace exquisite, best leave you a mystery
For if we dissect you may become history.
(insp. by Philip Yancey in his book on grace.)

Fear is a bully, strutting his stuff,
Cowering the children, feigning his bluff.

But Love is the queen of the royal races
For in her we see the sum of all graces

Grudge was an elephant that sat on my chest;
I fed him so much that he sat me to death.

If you confer a benefit, never remember it;
If you receive one, never forget it. mjf

2 comments:

  1. Grace is a rainbow, sent from Above;
    Taking our trespasses on the wings of a dove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought of another - you've got me hooked :)

    Grace is a Judge, condemning me to death;
    But then taking the sentence upon himself.

    ReplyDelete