Monday, April 17, 2006

Love Thy Enemy

"In what way exactly are we to love our enemies?" Today upon reading my daughter-in-law Kim’s blog about Easter, I asked this question, not for the first time thinking of a few particular enemies. At first I answered myself, "As Jesus loved His enemies, of course!" But after that, it was "Who were His enemies, anyway?" and "How did He show love to them."

I was the first one who came to mind. Let's face it, before I covenanted with Jesus, I was God’s enemy. Well, then how did He love me? He died on the cross for me, paying for my sins. "But I can't do that for someone else, Only Jesus, who is God, is worthy to pay for sin."

True, but He was resurrected to life, so as a living Savior, how does He love me now?" More than anything, I think He has patience with me. He covers my sins with a multitude of His love. He forgives me daily, hourly, minutely - seventy times seven - absolves me of the foolish little straying, and the awful ugly transgression. He intercedes with the Father on my behalf, over and over. He hears and answers my prayers - according to His will, yes; but also sometimes just to be kind. He heals me and raises me from sickness. Any obedience that I have, He provides. He gives me His testimony. He lavishes daily bread on me, both spiritual and material. He opens up the scriptures, feeds me on them, and speaks to me through them.

When I go to the house of worship, He blesses me with His presence, in hymn, in prayer, in preaching. And when I take the bread and wine, He sits down with me - and He sups with me. He joins me to other believers. He never will leave me – no not ever.

Though these, by far, are not all, I take them out and look at each, one by one. A few, I think to myself, I could manage toward a friend, but for an enemy? How can I ever forgive an enemy as Christ forgives me? Or love him or her that fully? I know the scripture. If I want forgiveness, I have to forgive. "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Laid on the table, that is a shocking statement.

Can I truly say I forgive and love my enemies as Jesus has forgiven and loved me?" I don't think I can pass this one off! Jesus is serious about the issue of forgiveness. Well, there can be only one answer, "With man (me) this is impossible. But with God, all things are possible." And I might add, with God many things are mysterious. It is then a mysterious, but possible process - with God. That forgiveness, that divine forgiveness I lack toward my enemy, can serve to open the door to more of His provision and grace. But I must ask.

And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Luke 11:11-11:13



No comments:

Post a Comment